Austria Immigration- Procedure, Processing Time, Documents Needed
Austria Immigration- Procedure, Processing Time, Documents Needed


When it comes to traveling, Austria is one of those countries everyone wants to visit. The reason is not far-fetched; Austria is a tourist location and there are a lot of opportunities for young school leavers. The country boasts of quality health care system and education. Notwithstanding, Austria is a mountainous and landlocked country in Europe. Austria and Switzerland form the core of the European Union. The country joined the membership of the EU in 1995.

Austria’s geographic position has largely contributed to its prominence. The country is the center of European traffic because it is located between West and East along the great Danubian trade route. It is also between the north end south through the Alpine, hence embedding the country within a lot of economic and political system. Austria’s capital is the historic Vienna. Vienna is known to be the former seat of the Holy Roman Empire. The city is renowned for infrastructural development.


Ethnic Austrians are the majority of residents in Austria. A small significant group is known as the Swiss (German speaker) and Ethnic German also reside in Austria. Other ethnic groups in Austria are:

  • Serbs, Bosniaks (Muslims from Bosnia and Herzegovina; living mainly in the larger cities)
  • Turks (living primarily in Vienna)
  • Hungarians and Croats (living mainly in Burgenland)
  • Slovenes (living mainly in Kärnten) make up the minorities.

This article will take a look at the process of migrating to Austria from both EU and non-EU countries. Without further ado, let’s get started.


Austria is one of the cultural centers in Europe. There are a lot of musical events, especially between May and October. The country is highly developed. The cost of living as well as the standard of living is relatively high. The country also boasts of a stable government.

To reside in Austria more than 90 days, as someone from a non-EU country, you need a long-stay visa or a resident permit (Aufenthaltstitel). There are some categories of visitors known as “Visa Exempt visitors”. These groups can obtain a resident permit when they have arrived in the country. However, it is not recommended to get a resident permit following this route due to the long processing time.


The table below shows the required documents to obtain a visitor’s visa:

Proof of Means of Financial Support Instructions  a. Your bank statements for the past four months
b. A bank draft in convertible currency
c. Pay stubs
d. An employment letter
e. Proof of assets or business
f. Tax reports, declarations or statements
g. A letter from the person or institution providing you with money


Passport Instructions  a. The page that shows your country of origin, date of birth etc.; and
b. Any pages with stamps, visas or markings.


Proof of Financial Resource of Supporter Instructions  a. Your bank statements for the past four months
b. A bank draft in convertible currency
c. Pay stubs
d. An employment letter
e. Proof of assets or business
f. Tax reports, declarations or statements
g. A letter from the person or institution providing you with money


Proof of Relationship Instructions  a. Marriage certificate
b. Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409)
c. A birth certificate
d. An official document naming you as a parent
e. A copy of the inside back cover of the inviter’s passport showing the inviter’s parents, if applicable


Purpose of Travel – Other Instructions  a. Your flight ticket departing the country you want to visit,
b. Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking)
c. Proof of a medical appointment.


Invitation Letter Instructions  a. Somebody inviting you must provide a letter of invitation. The letter should convey important information about the invitee and the host

b. The letter should state the purpose and length of the visit, the nature of the relationship between you and the host, the contact information of the host, etc.

c. If you are being invited to conduct business in the country, a letter of invitation should be printed on the company’s letterhead and include:

d. the host’s full name, title and business contact information
e. a brief summary of the reason for the invitation, including details of the business or trade to be undertaken
f. the full names of all employees from your company who are being invited by your host
g. the intended duration and a detailed itinerary of the visit
h. a statement specifying who will be responsible for all travel-related expenses


Travel History Instructions  a. You must provide information on your valid visa from the United States (If you have it) as well as previous travel history. This can include copies of
b. your previous passports and/or visas (used within the last 10 years to travel outside your country)
c. entry and exit stamps
d. study and/or work permits that indicate your duration outside of your country
e. expired or valid visas
f. boarding passes
g. If you hold a valid visa from the United States, provide a clear, scanned copy of your visa. If you are living outside your country of citizenship, please submit a copy of your immigration status document for the country where you currently reside. This could be a work permit, study permit, visa, or any other document that authorizes you to be in the country where you are living.





  • The following are the procedures to apply for an Austrian Visa;
  • Ensure you apply for a residency permit before applying for a Visa. The Austrian Embassy or Consulate General will accept only complete visa applications.
  • Visa application fees should be paid as appropriate. Credit/Debit cards are accepted
  • The application process can take up to 15 days
  • Submit your application 3 to 4 weeks before departure
  • The application cannot be submitted 3 months before departure
  • All applicants must appear in person for an interview at the Austrian Embassy/Consulate. Mail applications are not accepted.


Generally, it takes about 5 to 15 days to process your visa to Austria.


The EU Blue Card is a work and resident permit which allows only qualified non-EU citizens to work and live in the country for up to 2years. You have must have secured a job offer before this permit will be issued to you. However, it must have been certified by the Austrian Labor Market Service that no EU National can do the job.

Further, a Blue Card can be issued to any applicant who obtained a degree certificate from the country’s University. Applicants’ qualifications must meet the requirements of a job profile, as well as the salary specified in the work contract. The figures can be obtained from Statistik Austria. The application process of obtaining a Blue Card lasts about eight weeks.


This is a permit granted to non-EU citizens if they are qualified to work as a professional in Austria. The validity period of this permit span about 12 months. In order to qualify as a professional or skilled worker, you must be highly qualified, as well as, there must be a shortage of skilled manpower in your chosen career. In addition, a self-employed key worker or an Austrian University graduate can also apply for this permit.

The Red-White-Red Card works on a points-based system. Regardless of the category you belong, you must satisfy certain criteria before applying for the permit. You are advised to use a point’s calculator to determine whether you are eligible before applying.

Ten months after working in Austria as Red-White-Red Card holders, you’d be qualified to apply for a Red-White-Red Card plus. This card entitles you to free access to the Austrian labor market. Also, family members of Red-White-Red or of Blue Card holders are also eligible to apply for a Red-White-Red Card plus.


The following are the applicable visa fees and residence:

  • Schengen Visa C: 71.00
  • Schengen Visa C for children (6 to 12 years): 41.00
  • Schengen Visa C for children (0 to 6 years): free of charge
  • Schengen Visa C for a citizen of the Russian Federation, Ukraine, Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Moldova and Georgia: 41.00
  • Austrian National Visa D (study, employment, intern etc.): 176.00
  • Austrian National Visa D for children under 6 years: 88.00
  • Residence Permit: 141.00
  • Fingerprints for Residence Permit: 24.00
  • Residence Permit for Minors (less than 18 years): 88.00



The following are the applicable fees (in USD) for passport and ID cards:

  • Passport: 89.00
  • Passport for children (under 12 years): 36.00
  • One-Day Express Passport: 258.00
  • One-Day Express Passport for children (under 12 years): 194.00
  • Personal ID: 73.00
  • Personal ID for minors (under 16 years): 32.00
  • Changes in passport: 34.00



In order to study any course of your choice, you would need a study visa to enter the country, depend on your country. In addition, studying above 6 months would attract a residency permit. Potential students from EU countries do not need a student visa or residency permit. To apply for a student visa if you are from a non-EU country, the following documents must be submitted;

  1. Completed application forms
  2. Valid passport
  3. Fees
  4. Two passport photographs
  5. Proof of intention to return to home country

You may also be required to submit:

  1. Letter of acceptance
  2. Proof of funds
  3. Proof of health insurance



Austria is one of the cultural centers in Europe. There are a lot of musical events, especially between May and October. The country is highly developed. The cost of living, as well as the standard of living, is relatively high. The country also boasts of a stable government.

The size of Austria is about the size of Maine State in the United States. The country is bordered directly by 8 EU countries. The countries are:

  • Germany and Czech Republic to the north
  • Slovenia and Italy to the south
  • Slovakia and Hungary to the east
  • Switzerland and Lichtenstein to the west

The proximity of Austria to economic powers makes it a popular country. A train ride, car ride, plane or waterways can connect you to any of the above-listed countries in the EU. The geography of the country makes it possible for all kinds of seasonal experiences. The following are some fun spot to visit:

  • Famous for winter sports
  • The towns of Salzburg and Tyrol boast excellent Alpine skiing
  • Snowboarding





Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here