Procedure to get an International Driving Permit in India and Documents Required
If you’re travelling outside India and wish to drive on foreign land, you will be eligible to do so after obtaining an International Driver’s Permit from your home country.
What is an International Driver’s Permit?
An International Driver’s Permit (IDP) is an official travel document authorised by the United Nations that is issued to tourists travelling abroad.
The IDP is an official translation of your driver’s license into various languages that enables the authorities internationally to verify and understand your driving credentials.
The IDP enables and permits you to legally drive any vehicle in almost 150 countries across the world other than your home country.
For how long is the IDP Valid?
The validity of an IDP stands for the period of 1 year and requires a renewal beyond the term.
What are the number of languages in which the Driver’s License is translated?
The translation of your driver’s license through the IDP can be done in various languages, such as –
English, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Arabic and the Scandinavian languages also.
The IDP is also important and beneficial in case of any mishap if you encounter any abroad that helps the authorities abroad to verify your credentials and identity.
How and Where to Apply for an IDP in India?
An IDP which acts as a driver’s permit in your chosen country of travel beyond India can be obtained by the nearest RTO (Regional Transport Office).
The applicant can visit the nearest RTO with the required documents and the fee for the application has to be paid.
Can I apply for an IDP online?
Yes, you can apply online as well as offline in order to obtain an IDP.
ONLINE- In order to apply online please visit the website of the International Control Traffic Association and download the forms required.
The form should be duly filled with fulfilling other formalities and should be submitted online with paying the required fees.
Along with submitting the documents, the online process involves uploading the required documents on the website.
OFFLINE- (by visiting RTO) –
Applicants seeking to apply offline must visit their nearest RTO and fill a form that is known as the, Form For The Issue Of International Driving Permit, or form 4A.
The form asks for your personal details such as the name, address, driving license number, Country of visit abroad, etc.
What is the fees levied for an IDP?
The processing fee for obtaining an international driving Permit was fixed at Rs.500 but was renewed to Rs.1000, per license.
However, there are several states in India that charge Rs.500 to Rs.600 and some charge 1000 to Rs.1100 for processing and IDP’s application.
Steps involved in the Procedure to obtain an IDP –
The procedure is simple and the applicant must receive their IDP within 4 to 5 business days.
Following are the steps involved –
- Pick up or download the required form, known as the form for the Issue of International Driving Permit or form 4A from your nearest RTO office or download it online on the international control traffic Association website.
- Fill in the form with the needed details such as your name, the address, driving license number the country of destination you are travelling to.
- Submit the form with the required documents.
- Take the driving test
- Pay the fee applied to obtain and IDP.
- Wait for the duration prescribed and you will receive your IDP.
- The conditions to be fulfilled to obtain an IDP –
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- The applicant should be 18 years or above.
- The applicant must possess a valid driving Indian license.
Documents required to get international driving permit/license–
- Form 4A
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Copy of address proof
- Copy of age proof
- Copy of passport and visa to the testing country.
- Copy of air tickets to the destination country.
- Medical certificate should be submitted as mentioned in the application form, Form 1A.
- Application fee of Rs.1000 to 1200, depending on the city in India you live in.
- Five to Ten recent passport size photographs.
- Certified proof of Indian citizenship.
- Adhaar Card (optional)
- PAN Card (Optional)
Can the IDP be renewed? If yes, how?
Yes, it was announced by the Ministry of Road Transport And
Highways (MoRTH) that Indians who travel abroad frequently can now renew their International Driver’s Permit (IDP)overseas.
This provision can be used by the applicants whose driving license is about to expire while travelling to foreign countries.
The applicant can apply for a renewed IDP through embassies who will turn this application to the VAHAN portal after which where the necessary application process will be completed.
After the application is processed, the new IDP will be couriered to the applicant’s registered home address.