While hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking probe and compensation in 1,528 extra-judicial killings as per Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in state of Manipur from 2000 to 2012 by security forces and police, the Supreme Court bench comprising J. Madan B Lokur and J. U U Lalit has observed/held:
- the Central Bureau of Investigation to probe various cases of alleged fake encounters in Manipur
- To monitor the CBI Investigation.
- The CBI should file a compliance report in January next year.
- CBI director should constitute a team within two weeks.
- The Supreme Court will monitor the CBI probe into various killings.
- The Union of India shall examine and segregate the cases of armed forces along with army and Assam Rifles.
The top Court had earlier said that the state of Manipur would examine 265 cases and segregate the cases of Manipur Police.
There are 37 cases of judicial inquiry or high court matters and 35 matters related to commission of inquiry and have been transferred to the CBI for probe. There are 23 other related matters under investigation by the National Human Rights Commission, to be heard soon along with 170 cases based on written complaints.